There's something magical about a New Year. It's the perfect time to set new goals and get clear on what you want to see happen in the upcoming months. We have compiled a list of a few things that will help you reach your #CAREERGOALS in 2022.
1. Get Refined
Take New Courses
Whether you have a specific skill that you'd love to improve on, or you're just curious about other methods and learning new things, taking a course is a surefire way to add value to your work. Investing in your education is always worth it!
Find a course (or two or three!) that you'd love to take this year - and then make a plan for how and when you're going to make it happen.
To check out our Online Courses/Free Education Resources, click here.
2. Get Inspired
Attending in person events like the LashConference is one of the most powerful ways to draw inspiration for your career. Not only can you make new friends, have fun, and travel - but you also get to hear Top Leaders in the Industry share the things they did to find success.
Make it a point to attend at least one in-person event this year, even if it's only virtually. We guarantee it will inspire you on next steps you can take to increase your business' bottom line, and reach all of your goals.
For information on The LashConference 2022, click here.
3. Get Renowned
Starting your own product line can be expensive, tedious, and often soak up a lot of precious time. Some companies will allow you to purchase their product at wholesale pricing and retail it to other lash artists in your area. We have several people who have started doing this with our product line, and they love it! All the local lash artists in their area can come shop in person, and they get to earn money simply by supplying.
Look into this option for your business, and see if it makes sense for you!
For more information on our Wholesale Program, click here.
4. Get Involved
Become an Affiliate
If you're wanting to get involved with some of your favorite lash brands, see if they are accepting applications for new Affiliates/Influencers! You can often make a commission off of sharing your favorite products or creating content for the brand. This is another way you can add some extra change in your pocket without any overhead.
We are currently accepting new Affiliates, so if you'd like to apply, click here or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Get Creative
Try Something New
Are you sick of feeling like you do the same things all day, every day? Try a new set completely out of your comfort zone. Ask for a model who's willing to let you experiment so you can challenge yourself with something completely new and different - like L Curls, Colored Lashes, or a Strip Lash look!
You can also shake it up on the business end - offer a new incentive for Referrals, make a New Client Welcome Goodie Bag, change the way your room is set up! Only you know what will be the right thing for your business.
Write down three things you want to try this year that are completely new to you!
6. Get Focused
Use Magnifying Glasses
If there's one thing that can really improve your accuracy and speed, its Magnifying Glasses. These things are a GAME CHANGER. They really do help you do your best work. Plus, when you have the right magnification, they can alleviate a lot of strain on your neck, shoulders, back, and eyes. They do take a minute to adjust to, but once you are used to wearing them, you'll never go back!
To shop our Magnifying Glasses, click here.
7. Get Skilled
Practice makes Progress
The truth is, perfecting any craft or skill takes time and dedication. The more you lash, the better you'll get! Take every chance you can get to practice, ask for feedback, and learn new things.
At the end of the day, there's two things that will keep a client coming back to you. Your passion - and your skill. If you can give them their favorite set they have ever had, they will continue to come back to you time and time again. The better your skills are, the more prepared you are to give them the lashes they've always wanted. So practice, practice, practice every chance that you get!
To shop our $10 Practice Lash Trays, click here.
Here's to a phenomenal 2022 full of success, happiness, and connection.
Stay Fabulous, and Lash On!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING WEEK! In honor of gratitude - we thought we'd touch on a topic that helps you give your clients the best experience possible. After all, we are all so grateful for the clients that have helped us get where we are today.
It's probably no surprise that it's extremely important to respect your clients time just as well as you expect them to respect your time.
Here are our tips on making sure you are prepared for their appointment and building a respectable relationship with all your loved clients.
1. BE PREPARED - Get to your workspace 10-15 minutes before your first appointment to make sure everything is set up and clean. (lights/music on, tools/lashes set up, hands washed)
2. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF - Get a good night's rest before a long day of lashing. Eat breakfast and bring a snack.
3. BALANCE IS KEY - Schedule breaks into your schedule to keep a balanced life.
4. PERSONAL HEALTH - Don't come into work sick. I you feel like you are coming down with something, stay home! If you absolutely cannot reschedule your clients - make sure to have a steady supply of face masks and hand sanitizer.
5. QUALITY - Learn to say no to potential clients to not compromise the quality of your work for your current clients. Instead of over scheduling yourself, start a waiting list.
6. STAY PROFESSIONAL - With any business, you will have your difficult clients. It is important to handle every situation in a respectful manner. If you run into a situation where you and a client are not seeing eye to eye, remain calm and respectful. It's okay to 'fire' a difficult client in a professional way if they are hindering your inner peace.
We believe being the best professional you can be shows your clients that you are grateful for them. What are your best professionalism tips?
Ugh! The dreaded cancellation policy! It's something you have to do. As long as you make sure clients know your policies by clearly stating them - you'll be good to go!
It's important to have your cancellation policy listed on your website, Facebook page, instruction cards, and consent forms.
This is not being "mean" it's just asking for respect of your time. Which we all deserve!
Here are a few examples of cancellation policies:
- "Please give 24 hour notice when cancelling or rescheduling to avoid a $25 fee."
- "Appointments must be canceled or rescheduled 48 hours in advance or 50% of the service will be charged to the credit card on file."
- "If a client is more than 15 minutes late, the appointment will be cancelled and the client will be charged a no-show fee."
Policies do not have to be limited to cancellations; they can include any other instructions to respect your business. Here are some more examples:
- "No unattended children in studio."
- "Please arrive 10 minutes early to appointment"
- "Please arrive with clean lashes to your appointment or you will be charged a $10 cleaning fee."
- "Please refrain from drinking caffeine right before your appointment."
Again, these are just basic examples. Find what works best for your business and clientele.
Here are a few helpful tips for setting up your own policies:
- Allow a little room for error. It's okay to allow one "get out of jail free" card when the situation calls for it.
- Stand your ground and don't let anyone take advantage of you, while remaining professional of course! Remain firm on policies that you set.
- If you're going to keep a credit card on file make sure your client knows this and agrees to it in writing (you can add this to your consent form)
- If you're uncomfortable with keeping a credit card on file, you can charge a booking fee.
Do you have any other tips that have helped you maintained a balanced cancellation policy? We want to hear em!
Happy Tuesday, & LASH ON!
It can be difficult at first to know how to price your lash services. Fear not! It doesn't have to be! Research the market in your area. Find 3-10 other reputable lash professionals and calculate the average price being charged.
1. Start in the medium/high range - it is easier to lower prices than to raise them.
2. Be competitive! Never undersell yourself.
3. You deserve to make a profit for your skill. Never let anyone tell you otherwise. Remember all the investments you have made to be in this industry.
4. It's okay to offer discounts on full sets when you are first starting out and practicing.
5. Do not give discounts on fills, unless you plan to keep the discounted rate. Clients have a harder time with a large price jump for fills.
6. Stand your ground with doubtful clients! For every client that won't pay your prices, there are three more that will!
Do you have any other pricing tips? We love collaborating with other artists and learning what has worked for them!
IDENTIFY YOUR AUDIENCE:
Who are you looking to reach?
What do they want to see?
What type of clientele are they?
What are they looking for?
What social media site are they on most?
Who will your brand speak to?
BE HUMAN: The last thing you want to be is a “faceless business”. Let your followers learn about you! Your potential clients want to know YOU. Get personal and don’t be afraid to share pieces of your life that aren’t just “lash” content.
BUILD RELATIONSHIPS: Never neglect the SOCIAL part of social media. It’s more important to have engaged followers than it is to have the most followers.
ORGANIZE & AUTOMATE: Organizing your posts will help you generate an audience who trusts you. Especially if you follow through with your plans. You can pre plan your posts with different apps. It’s best to do this weekly or monthly. This will keep you on track and consistent! When planning your posts look into things that are “trending” like “national eyelash day” (which is February 19th PS).
HELP BEFORE YOU SELL: You definitely want 10% of your posts to be a sales pitch for your business. But you never want everything you post to come across as “I need clients!” or “Someone pay me!”. Social Media is your chance to stand out and give your followers content that they want to see. Instead of only selling them on your lash skills, remind them what lash extensions by you will do for them! No mascara, perfect for summer, why you use the best products (hint, hint)... etc.
OPTIMIZE: Make it easier for others to find you on social media by adding key words to your profile. Always include relevant hashtags, tags & share posts that are relevant. Tag LASHBOMB in your posts!
GET VISUAL: Pictures are everything! You are 8X more likely to receive a reaction from your viewers if you include a graphic. Take quality pictures and use good lighting!
CONSISTENCY IS KEY: Consistency is more important than perfection. You will go unnoticed if you’re not posting regularly. A good rule of thumb is to post once a day. You don’t want to post more than twice a day. Staying consistent will up your views, it shows you are an “active” account and helps your algorithm!
INVEST IN YOUR BUSINESS: Social media marketing is free and works! However, you can boost posts on IG or FB. You can also run ads on FB or Google. You might do a giveaway or ask someone with a large following to mention your work (which may cost money). Remember, there are times you need to spend a little to make a lot. Not everything will work for everyone. You may have to experiment to see what your customers respond to best! Always evaluate your results after running a promo/ad.
BRAND YOURSELF: You want to become recognizable and have content that is cohesive. Pick out a color scheme, a few fonts, and a “vibe” for your social media pages and stick with them. These small details will make your page stand out and gain more attention.
QUALITY CONTENT: Your followers are looking for content, and it’s your job to show them it! Stand out and think outside the box! Write how you speak, add your personality to it, and above all show your passion. Passion and excitement are contagious and you will gain + keep valuable viewers if show them those things!
SET GOALS: Above all - Setting goals! Figure out what your objective is on social media. Most likely, it is to gain a clientele. Remember to go back to your goals monthly to re-evaluate. You may have to switch things up until you find what works for you and your brand!
There will come a time when a client is unhappy with their lash extensions. More than likely it’s due to their retention rate being low. Here are six helpful questions to ask them when troubleshooting why their lashes aren’t lasting as long as they should be.
What are your sleeping habits?
- Sleeping face down can cause natural lash damage.
- It’s obviously ideal for them to sleep on their back or side.
- Even side sleepers will have a dominate side and you will notice less retention.
- If a client can’t shake the habit of sleeping on their tummy suggest a silk pillowcase.
Are you cleaning your lashes regularly?
- Lashes need baths too!
- Not cleansing your lashes will create a buildup of makeup in between lashes. This will break down the bond in the adhesive.
- LASHBOMB offers a Lash Splash Cleanser which is perfect for lash baths. It keeps lashes clean, clients happy & your job easier. Plus it adds more to your bottom line as you can carry it as a retail item in your studio.
How are you taking off your makeup?
- Make sure any makeup remover they’re using is oil free.
- Oil will break down the bond and cause retention issues.
How hot are your showers?
- Wear and tear is a major contributor to lash loss.
- Remind your client to avoid direct steam from showers, steam rooms, saunas...etc.
What type of makeup products are you using?
- Make sure any makeup products they’re using near their eyes are oil free.
- Eyeliner, mascara for bottom lashes, eyeshadow, and even foundation can migrate to the lash line and create retention issues.
- It’s vital that your client knows not to use mascara on their lash extensions at any cost.
- Clients love our Crystal & Black Crystal Sealer to coat on their lashes daily. It keeps the bond strong and helps retention rate. You can also sell this at retail.
Are you touching or picking your lashes?
- We have oils and dirt on our hands that will transfer to our lashes.
- Teach them to use the mascara wand as much as possible to fix any issues
- Remind your client to not over brush their lashes.
These are just a few examples of what you can ask. Always feel free to ask any other questions that might help you solve the problem to keep your client satisfied with your work!
Yours Always, LASHBOMB
TIP TUESDAY: Understanding Artificial Lashes and FIVE TIPS For Choosing The Best Lashes For Your Client:
Artificial Lashes come in many different types of materials. There are; mink, silk, human hair, synthetic mink and other options. LASHBOMB uses synthetic mink made from a material called PBT. Not only do synthetic lashes keep our product cruelty free it also gives you a longer lasting, stronger curl.
Lashes come in a variety of curl, length and diameter.
So what are the differences? We are happy you asked!
Curl comes in six different varieties: J, B, C, CC, D and DD.
J: most relaxed curl
B: understated curve - perfect for a “natural” look
C: these mimic what your natural lashes would look like with an eyelash curler. C curl lashes are great for a “winged eye” look.
D: wow factor lashes are created with D lashes they have an even more noticeable curl.
CC: this option helps give dimension to your C or D sets - it also is helpful when transitioning from C to D.
DD: your most dramatic option and a LASHBOMB favorite.
Length gives you even more option to work with! LASHBOMB carries 12 different sizes in length; 7mm- 18mm. The larger the number, the longer the lash. Clients must always be evaluated to determine which length their natural lash can hold.
Length is how you style each eye shape. For example…
Cat Eye: Smaller lengths in the inner eye graduating to the longest lash on the outer edge.
Open Eye: Use the longest length in the middle of the eye.
Gauge is the diameter of the extension. LASHBOMB carries 8 different gauge sizes to make certain you have options when choosing the right lash for your client. We carry; 0.03, 0.05, 0.07, 0.10, 0.12, 0.15, 0.18 and 0.20.
The higher the gauge the heavier the lash. Here is an example of C curl 12mm lashes and their weight.
0.20 diameter lash = 0.00030 gr.
0.18 diameter lash = 0.00025 gr.
0.15 diameter lash = 0.00015 gr.
0.12 diameter lash = 0.00013 gr.
0.10 diameter lash = 0.00010 gr.
0.07 diameter lash = 0.00006 gr.
0.05 diameter lash = 0.00004 gr.
Lowering the gauge per lash is perfect for Volume lashes! Five 0.07 lashes weigh the same as one 0.20 lash!
FIVE Tips for choosing the right lash for your client:
1. When clients have smaller eyes try using a bigger curl instead of longer lashes
2. The deeper the curl the more likely it is to touch the client’s eyelid (for this reason LASHBOMB does not offer DD Curl in 12mm or lower.
3. J curl is never ideal for clients with naturally curly lashes - they will not sit right.
4. 0.15, 0.18 or 0.20 gauge is perfect for healthy natural lashes that want standard lash extensions .
5. For deep set eyes (significant protruding brow bone) use longer lashes to make up the distance.
When I was a young girl, around 8 years old, my parents divorced. I was the youngest of 6 children. When I was 9 years old, my mother moved myself and 4 of my 6 siblings to Utah from Idaho. At that time, she bought a sporty Mustang with a T-Bird engine. I didn’t know much about cars but my siblings were always excited to ride in the maroon colored Mustang. We didn’t have much, but the way we felt when my mom would beat every young driver that challenged us to a drag race at the red lights was priceless. Wow – it made us feel like we were special and had something to be proud of.
One day, my mom came home and announced that we needed to trade the prized Mustang to acquire a more economically fueled vehicle. She was a single mother raising 4 children on a woman’s wage. We were devastated. How could this be? That car represented all that we had materially to be proud of. Nevertheless, we traded in the prized Mustang for a Dodge Dart Swinger. It wasn’t as flashy, but certainly better on gas.
My mother and I were very close. She taught me how to calculate gas mileage. Every time we filled up our car, we recorded the mileage and calculated our MPG. I soon realized the Dodge was far more economical than the Mustang. I felt comfortable with this because I knew the value of the money. My mom was teaching me how to write checks, pay bills, shop for groceries, and balance our budget each month.
About three weeks after purchasing the Dodge, I was alarmed at the gas mileage I calculated one day at the gas station. We started averaging 36 – 60 MPG and that continued over the next year or so. Wow, it was unexplainable and did not make sense. Nevertheless, we chose to count our blessings and give thanks.
One day, my mother came home from work and asked me if I wanted to go to the hospital with her to visit our next-door neighbor, Bill, who had been hospitalized with cancer. “Cancer,” I asked, “what is that?” She explained, “We don’t know what it is, but it usually does not turn out favorable to someone who has it.” I said that I wanted to visit Bill and had no idea that he had been sick.
Bill died shortly after that. The interesting thing was that I noticed our gas mileage had gone down. It seemed like good fortune was not to be had in our neighborhood. Soon after the funeral, my mom noticed people at Bill’s house and went over to see if she could be of assistance. She came home after a couple of hours and sat me down.
She explained to me that the people who were at Bill’s house were his family and close friends. They told her of a story he told them about a neighbor lady who was trying to raise 4 children on her own and was struggling financially. He wanted to help but knew she would be embarrassed to receive a handout. When she bought a new car, he saw his opportunity to help. He snuck out of his house every 2 – 3 days at night and put gas in her gas tank, a little at a time, so she wouldn’t notice or suspect anything.
When I heard this story, it was as though my life stood still, suspended. Everything I had ever been taught, believed, and had learned was real and had just manifested itself. How was I so blessed to have had this experience? In that moment, I knew I wanted to be a “gas can”. I vowed to forever seek out opportunities to be a person with “the gas can”, ready to share and assist another in need.
At 49 years old, I found myself in a state of emotional struggle. Having experienced a divorce, rejection, and abandonment, I found myself alone and feeling undesirable. I found comfort in knowing I was and am a very strong person. I pondered ideas for my future, and how those options could assist myself and others. I decided to go back to school to become a Master Medical Esthetician. My plan was to acquire that licensing so I could work while I went on to become a nurse. While going to school, I realized I had a passion for helping others feel beautiful and confident in themselves. After participating in eyelash extension theory and clinical classes, I became obsessed with this procedure. It turned out I was a natural!
I started dreaming and imagining all the ways to make this procedure easier, more cost effective, safe, and healthy to the client. It turned out some things needed to be invented. So, I went to work on my ideas.
I came up with the name Girlfriends Beauty, which would in time become the mother company for Utah Lash and Day Spa and LASHBOMB. While going to school and working, I organized and developed an eyelash extension supply company and began to perfect my talents as an eyelash extension specialist. I began to sell my product and train others in my method.
In a very short time, my schedule started to get booked out two years in advance. I was working 6 – 7 days a week and 10 – 15 hours a day. I realized I needed to expand. Upon the insistence of my daughter, I started bringing on new girls in my studio and I trained them to apply eyelash extensions. We grew our space in no time.
Four years later, Utah Lash and Day Spa has hosts 10 – 15 girls doing lashes daily. Our lash studio has expanded to an additional studio in Arizona called Arizona Lash. Throughout this time, I have continually developed the supply side of the eyelash extension business that has become LASHBOMB. We feature our lash supply line at trade shows, on the Internet, and through beauty school networks. Through a cosmetic chemist, I have had lash growth serums, lash sealers, and lash cleansers formulated for lash nutrition and health. I continue to research products, services, and opportunities to offer individuals seeking to support themselves, their families, and their loved ones.
Thank you for considering to advance your training with LASHBOMB, and I look forward to seeing the success each of you will achieve in your life.
Let’s talk consultation! This little chat with a new client is an important part of their experience. Today for ’Tip Tuesday’ LASHBOMB will be sharing five helpful questions ask! This not only will give your client exactly what they were looking for but keep them coming back for more!
Have you ever had eyelash extensions before?
- If they have, why did they have them removed?
Do you have any allergies?
- This question is the most important! Making sure they aren't allergic to anything you will be using near their eyes seems obvious. They'll be happy you asked!
Are you looking for more volume, length or both?
- An easy way to get an idea for this if they aren't sure is by asking, "Do you wear mascara for length or volume?"
Do you use an eyelash curler?
- This will help you understand how much curl they like.
Would you rather your results be more cautious or dramatic?
- This is the defining question to make sure you don't go too bold. Always remember it's better to start on the less dramatic side of things. You can work your way towards more drama at each fill.
Keep in mind the size of their eyes, how they wear their makeup (is it more natural or dramatic?), and how healthy their natural lash is.
Always be open and honest with your clients! If they have brittle and sparse natural lashes but want a long, mega volume set - you’ll have to explain to them what is best for their lashes. This is a great time to recommend LASHBOMB Explosive Growth Serum.
Extra Tip: It’s a good idea to ask them these questions again at the beginning of their next appointment. They will always have a stronger opinion of what they want the second time around!
TIPS TO HELP YOU CHOOSE THE TWEEZERS THAT ARE RIGHT FOR YOU
“Which pair of tweezers should I use”?, this is a question that we get asked over and over again. Having the right set is crucial for easy and effective application of lash extensions, especially when doing volume lashes. There are several factors to take into consideration when deciding which pair of tweezers are right for you.
You want to select a pair that have enough tension to grasp individual lashes, while also able to release easily. Also, make sure that the tension is not too strong for you, that you are not having to exert too much energy to close them.
The tips of your tweezers should come to a perfect point with no gap when closed. This ensures that you are able to firmly grasp the lash extensions and allowing fans to be easily made when doing volume lashes.
STYLE & LENGTH
Typically, you should be using two sets of tweezers for lash extensions, one pair for isolation and the other pair for applying the extensions. Straight tweezers are usually used for isolation and classic lashes. When performing volume lashes, we recommend using either a hooked or boot shaped pair for applying the lash extensions. These two styles allow you to grab fans as parallel to the strip as possible, giving you more control. As for the length, you want to select a length that is appropriate for your hand size and pick up style, not too long and not too short.
Ultimately, choosing the right pair of tweezers is a matter of personal preference and only you know your preferences! Always test them before you purchase them if at all possible. With LASHBOMB, you are able to test out all of ours, including grasping lash extensions using our LASHBOMB Palette testers, when you come into our store or when visiting our booth at any of our trade shows. Once you have the tweezers that are right for you, you will increase your efficiency thus decreasing your application time.